» Inspire health improvement through goal setting – For employees & your company!
January 11, 2019
A new year brings new beginnings. Many people conjure up New Year’s resolutions this time of year, but many of them fall short of reaching their goals. Why? Support, accountability, time, and other priorities arise in their lives. In a nutshell, individuals don’t fully commit to a plan to build sustainable behaviors. Forming habits help these behaviors become second nature that guide individuals on the path towards reaching their goal. Without setting themselves up for success to reach the desired outcome, these “goals” stay mere ideas. Planning is the hard part…people know what they want to do and they are willing to put effort into it, but the steps to take and amount of effort needed is where people fall short.
Many of your employees are these people. They will try in 2019 – With many goals related to health and their personal well-being. Whether it’s learning something new, saving money, eating healthier, exercising a bit more, losing weight, improving relationships, quitting unhealthy behaviors – Help employees change their lives for the better.
Since employees spend so much time at the workplace, support them as they establish personal health goals and strive towards improving their lives. Here are a few tips to think about:
- Recognize – Acknowledge these goals as an employee’s desire to improve their health.
- Rejoice – Applaud and celebrate personal efforts as individuals meet (and surpass) milestones.
- Reward – Show further appreciation by determining how your company can incentivize those practicing healthy behaviors.
- Reinforce – Help employees see the bigger picture to let them know they aren’t doing it alone by building an environment and culture conducive to healthy behaviors.
This may be overwhelming for some organizations, but think about how your company can start small. At the core level, define how your company will support your workforce on their wellness journey. Here are a few simple items to get started:
- Emphasize the message you care and how important the workforce is to the business.
- Communicate basic health awareness information.
- Provide resources for employees to access.
- Call attention to any and all existing wellness offerings from your current insurance carrier.
- Allow employees to take full advantage of any resource your company has available.
Taking these small steps will help strengthen your culture of health.
Better yet though, how is your company planning your health management strategies for the future? Just as individuals need plans, so do businesses.
Has your company created structured goals that align with the long-term business strategy? Make this your New Year’s resolution for the business. Make your employee health management approach a company priority in 2019 and make it your purpose to enhance the wellness offering to your employees.
Proper goal setting helps lay the foundation of a wellness program, and your company can’t assess impact of a wellness program if objectives aren’t laid out – define a path to success by defining goals. This process will provide guidance and direction of the overall program, and offer clarity around what your organization wants to accomplish. Whether it is increasing overall participation, helping reduce your hypertensive population, or increasing morale and satisfaction, goals will help you map out an action plan and monitor progress. Plus, it will help participants be healthier, happier and more productive.
Thinking about wellness for the first time? There’s no time like the present to begin the journey towards managing your population’s health.
This whole notion might seem challenging, but we are here to help. Britton Gallagher can assist your organization in designing a path towards better corporate health. Contact us today to lead your wellness program to success. I can be reached at [email protected] and 216-658-7847.